The Human Resources team has spent some time speaking to people working in administrative roles. In this post we talk with Alan Sini, an Administrative Officer for the Consulate General in Saudi Arabia. He holds a degree in Business Administration and is fluent in Arabic and Chinese.
Check out our hiring profile posts for other positions as well to gain more tips for succeeding in the work world!
- Administrative Assistant (Recruiter)
- HR Recruitment Specialist
- Social Media
- Web Analytics
What Skills and Experiences are Must-Haves for an Administrative Officer
- Foreign Language
- Modern Standard Arabic (similar) fluency; additional language fluency a plus
- Financial Management
- Budget preparation and execution
- Accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Payroll monetary management and disbursement
- Audit and internal controls
- Human Resources
- Recruitment and staffing (placement of support staff personnel)
- Employee relations (benefits, policies, and procedures)
- Labor relations and laws (federal, state, and local laws)
- Office Management
- Organizational and personnel structures
- Computer programs (Microsoft Office) and office equipment (copy, fax, scanners, telephonic, etc.)
- Hard Skills
- Diplomacy (cross-culturalism)
- Decision-making (professional judgment)
- Interpersonal and oral/written communication skills (cultural sensitivity, discretion, etc.)
- Organizational and planning skills
- Time management
- Logistics and travel safety standards
Common Interview Questions for an Administrative Officer
- Do you have experience in financial management within a government agency or business?
- Do you have experience in accounting to include the interpretation of financial data to formulate decision making and use of resources?
- Do you have knowledge of treasury operations including banking and payroll?
- Do you understand labor issues, procedures, and laws affecting the ability to work in a multicultural environment with the host country’s government?
- Do you possess exceptional communication skills in cross-cultural and multi-cultural environments, with emphasis on written and verbal commands?
- Do you have the ability to safeguard sensitive material to ensure information integrity and avoid compromise?
- Do you have a strong command of the Arabic language to include grammar, spelling, and punctuation?
- Do you have the ability to manage heavy calendaring and scheduling for diplomatic functions?
- Do you have the ability to plan and assist with official events and visitors including guest lists, supply requests, and official gifts?
- Do you have the ability to think logically and objectively, to apply sound judgment in situational assessments?
What He Loves Most About Being an Administrative Officer
I enjoy the ability to promote cross-cultural diplomacy between the United States and Saudi Arabia. Within the consulate, those working in civil service are on the same footing as those working in foreign affairs.
There are also different career tracks to choose from (e.g., consular, political, economic, and security.) The workforce is also very diverse, with colleagues coming from all types of backgrounds and around the world. People care about what they do here!
What Challenges He Faces Day to Day
Every day is different. There may be a sudden high-level visit we have to make arrangements for. There may also be emergency passport and visa services for citizens and visitors. There could also be issues related to births abroad, divorces, deaths, arrests, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum), Master’s degree or higher (preferred): Human Resources, Business, Finance, Accounting, Political Science, Economics, Sociology, International Affairs, International Development, History, or any other related field
- Language: Arabic (fluency in speaking, writing, and reading); additional language proficiency a bonus
- Work experience: Human Resources Generalist (Finance and Office Management) or any other related field
- Background and suitability investigation
Possible Job Titles for an Administrative Officer:
|Human Resources Specialist||Financial Management Specialist||Office Manager||Financial Management Officer|
|Foreign Service Officer||Consul General Secretary||Administrative Assistant||Administrative Management Officer|
|Human Resources Generalist||Administrative Secretary||Civil Service Officer||Facilities Officer|
|Human Resources Officer||Management Secretary||Civil Service Specialist||Management Officer|
Interested in joining the DME Interns team? Click here to find out more and sign up to be notified when applications open!