The Human Resources team has spent some time speaking to people in roles that require social media skills or who hire people with social media skills. In this post we discuss how to succeed in positions involving social media with Dr. Karen Sutherland, a PhD in Public Relations. She is a lecturer, discipline leader, and coordinator in communications who has been working a total of eight years in social media.
Check out our hiring profile posts for other positions as well to gain more tips for succeeding in the work world!
What Skills and Experiences are Must-Haves for Someone in Social Media
- Content production skills
- Communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Analytical skills
Common Interview Questions for a Social Media Candidate
- What are some results you have from you experiences?
- Do you have experience in a variety of platforms?
- Do you have technical skills?
- What do you think of our current social media efforts? What could we be doing better?
- What metrics do you use to measure the success of your social campaigns?
- What channels do you think are most relevant to our business? How do you use each channel differently?
- What tools do you use to manage your channels?
- Give me a couple of examples of social media experiments you’d like to run with our business.
- Say there’s a crisis on one of our social media channels. How do you handle it?
- Tell me about a successful social campaign you’ve run from beginning to end.
Abilities and Experiences That Make Social Media Candidates Stand Out
- Interpersonal skills
- Making deadlines
- Good communicator
What She Loves Most About Working in Social Media
- Constant learning experience
- Always occupied, due to constant changes in social media
- Having the ability to be creative
What Challenges She Faces Day to Day
- Constant changes
- Managing expectations of individuals who aren’t familiar with social media
- Time and cost
What Traits Helped Her Find a Job
- Delivering results
What She Would Share with Students Hoping to Work in Social Media
- Always be willing to continue to learn
- Attend workshops, online courses, certification programs
- Build content for your personal brand and utilize online portfolios
Possible Job Titles for Social Media
|Social Media Manager/Specialist
|Director of Social Media
|Digital Communications Professional
|Director, Communications Planning
|Director, Social Marketing and Brand Communications
|Digital Content Manager
|Director of Social Media Communications
|Digital Media Manager
|Manager of Digital and Social Media
|Social Media Strategist
|Director, Online Communications
|Social Media Analyst/Associate Coordinator